Thursday, February 6, 2014

Giving thanks, Learning to save and to Do It all Yourself

This Thursday morning was full of action. It started off with Travis leaving at the crack of dawn to go rabbit hunting.... Yes I said rabbit. Lord knows this man loves to hunt no matter what kind of species it is. However, I ruined that hunt with a call demanding he come home. We had a dog fight, not with some stray. Our own two dogs, they are like siblings its a love-hate relationship. Except dogs fight until you pull them apart... Ours do at least. This fight started over a BONE! Like we don't have one for each of them. However they have their own way with their bones.
Kai likes to take her bones in the back yard and bury them, every time she goes outside she moves it to a cool new spot. 
Avery likes to chew/ eat her bone the instant she gets it. Therefor after five minutes or so, she no longer has a bone.

This morning I was feeding Kai and Avery wanted to go outside, this happened to work out perfectly. So I let Avery out and put the food in Kais' bowl. Instead of her chowing down she sat at the back door and cried. Me being the mom I am I thought Kai wanted to be outside and play with Avery. So I let her out too. Kai ran to Avery and I heard her snap at Kai So I ran outside to see that Avery had dug up Kais bone and had it in her mouth. I demanded that Avery drop the bone, right after she did that she dropped Kai. They went at it! Both of them are Alpha females. And let me tell you they don't give up. Me being the scaredy cat to break them up, I kept yelling to stop and kicking their back legs, which did not work at all. Travis usually breaks up the fights... Finally, Avery got on top of Kai and I was able to grab her collar and pull her off. Thankfully I did not get bit in the mix. I was able to separate them until Travis got home. I decided to not post any pictures of the result of the fight because it is heart wrenching. After washing both of them off, Kai resulted in a lot of scratches and a hole through her lip and Avery ended up with a hole through her ear. They are okay now,  needless to say this will not be anymore bones or toys in this household.
All I have to say is DUMB DOGS!

After all that, Travis and I decided to finish off our projects in the garage, its taking up my parking space to it needs to get done :)
This is a piece of cedar that will be going in our "sitting" room. The previous owner left a wall decal that was tattooed on, and we are not allowed to paint so we came up with a pretty piece of wood, some stain, and a quote will suffice.

Travis got out his handy wood saw to cut it the right length.

 This type of wood is very textured aka the kind that will give you splinters!
But that is what makes it so beautiful.
 I decided to use the same stain as we put on the pie safe that way it all matches.
We are very OCD..

This little table will be going in the "sitting" room as well. 
It was a cherry finish that matched the pie safe. 

 This time the stain took a different color than the other pieces. This was the color I was going for all along. I wish the pie safe would have looked like this!
More to come on my little sitting room. This room needs lots of love done to it.

Learning to save, everyone needs to know how to save. And I am not one to ask on how to save, which is why I am learning :)
I saw the TV show Extreme Couponing, being realistic I know I will NEVER be able to do what they do nor save near as much. But I do plan on preventing my self from spending $500 every week on groceries ever again. So I saved the newspaper for the next time I needed groceries to sort through the items with a deal and compare it to my list of things that we need. 
Just my luck- this is the previous weeks paper and these deals have expired. And Travis through away this weeks (because he's a boy, and doesn't think. Next time we will save some money.



Super bowl Sunday we had our house warming party, what better way to open your home up to friends and family and invite them over to stay for the game? It was a big hit, we got a lot of great quality time and gifts for our new home.

In order to show my thanks I had to get thank you cards :)
Lucky for me I found these little pretties in the dollar section at target. They were $1 for a pack of eight!

HOW TO DIY: Cabinet Frame

I got a request to share the steps on this project so here it is :)

Go to a local restore store or any store that will sell you a cabinet.
I chose the one with glass in it so I could frame the picture.
 Sand it: I sanded parts of the paint off so it would be different tones. I was going for the rustic look.
Sanding makes a mess so be prepared, I do not recommend doing it inside.
**Also, I recommend using an electric sander, this ten minute sanding project would probably take ten hours with sand paper.**
Stain it: You can get stain at your local Lowes or Home Depot. You will also need a stain brush and a stain rag. You use the brush to paint the stain on, then after you have covered the area you wipe it off. The longer you let it sit, the more the stain will settle and create a darker wood.
I did two coats of this stain. As you can see the difference in the picture above and below.
Then I used polyurethane to put a gloss on it, you use the same method with 
painting it on and wiping it off.
I got a door knob at Hobby Lobby it wasn't what I quite pictures so I stained it too.
The picture was printed at Office Max. I measured the size of the glass to get the size of the picture.




Total Cost:
Cabinet - $5.00
Sander- $30.00
Stain- $7.00
Polyurethane- $6.00
Stain Brush- $6.00
Stain Rag- $3.00
Knob- $2.00 (Hobby Lobby online 40% off Coupon)
Picture- $13.00
________________
Total- $72.00

Once you get the necessities to do diy projects like the brushes, stain, and sander the project will be much cheaper.